How to make Unagi Don
If you have ever been to Japan during summer, you know that it can get very hot there. That is why the Japanese believe it is important to eat dishes that give a lot of energy, such as Unagi Don. In this tutorial, our chef Kuniyoshi Ohtawara shows your how to make this traditional Japanese dish at home. He talks about the perfect way of cooking rice (which is crucial for this dish). Together with the Unagi Kabayaki (grilled eel in sauce) the rice forms the base for Unagi Don. It isn’t going to get much simpler and tastier than this!
Brought to you by Bureau Voorlichting
Preparation (for 2 persons)
- Take 300 grams of Japanese rice and wash it 4 to 5 times with tap water, until the water becomes clear.
- Soak the washed rice in water for 30 minutes and then drain (if you do not have the time, you can skip this step).
- Add 400 ml water to the rice and bring to the boil. Once it boils, slightly turn down the flame.
- After 7 to 10 minutes of cooking the bottom of the pan will make a noise, the rice is ready!
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Boil the Unagi Kabayaki in the package in boiling water for 10 minutes (defrosting is not necessary).
- Remove the eel from the package and cut into small pieces.
- Squeeze the remaining sauce from the package into a container.
- Put the rice in a bowl, put the Unagi Kabayaki on top and pour the remaining sauce over the eel.
- Garnish with nori, sansho pepper and spring onion!
Did you also cook with Hokkai? We would like to see your creations as a home chef on social media using the hashtag #hokkaiathome
ど う ぞ 召 し 上 が れ! Enjoy your meal!